A practical guide to building your design system infrastructure
In Varya’s talk for Patterns Day 2019 they discussed a practical way of applying technologies like React with your design system.
Design System at Elisa
- Library of css components
- Libraries of React components
- UI kit in Sketch
- Shared tools and practices
- Great design community
- World-class front-end teams
What is Design Systems?
Often it is termed as purely component libraries, for Varya it means:
- shared practices (like component libraries and documentation).
- tools (for developers and designers to keep a standardised design system).
To React or Not React?
- React Styleguidist and Storybook are seen as things for React Libraries, great tools that can have a component playground and also be used as a documentation site.
- Yet, they can also be used for not just React.
- With Styleguidist, you can create the component by adding the HTML in a markdown file for the component.